Finding gluten free foods, particularly in a regular grocery store, can be a daunting task.
Here are a few tips to help you stay true to a gluten-free diet:
• Look for “gluten-free” labels; even those products that are “wheat-free” are not necessarily gluten-free.
• Stay to the perimeter of the grocery store. Fruits, vegetables, and other unprocessed foods usually line the perimeter of a grocery store. These will be the safest bets for a gluten-free diet.
• Only buy or order foods prepared with minimal ingredients. Restaurants with simple dishes will be more likely to offer or fix gluten-free options.
• Beware of chutney, pickles, cold cuts, sour cream, root beer, gum, instant coffee, and hot dogs. You might assume these foods are gluten-free, but they aren’t!
• To replace gluten-heavy grains in your cooking, use bean or nut flours, buckwheat, corn, millet, quinoa potatoes, rice, soy, or tapioca.
For more information on a gluten free diet, see below:
Gluten Free Diet
© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.