Reflexology is an alternative medicine or zone therapy that involves applying pressure or massaging the feet and hands with specific thumb, finger, and hand techniques without the use of oil or lotion. It is based on the theory of a system of zones and reflex areas that reflect an image of the body on the feet and hands. Reflexologists claim that applying adequate pressure to these reflex areas creates physical changes in the body. When the reflex area is the foot, the therapy used is known as foot reflexology, while for the hand, it is known as hand reflexology.
The Reflexology Association of Canada defines reflexology as:
"A natural healing art based on the principle that there are reflexes in the feet, hands, and ears and their referral areas within zone related areas, which correspond to every part, gland, and organ of the body. Through application of pressure on these reflexes without the use of tools, creams, or lotions, the feet being the primary area of application, reflexology relieves tension, improves circulation, and helps promote the natural function of the related areas of the body."
According to this theory, the entire human body is represented on the foot. Massaging the foot produces an effect on corresponding parts of the body. The left foot represents the left side of the body and the right foot, the right side.
Massaging the foot requires specific techniques practiced by reflexologists. Ever had a pedicure? If so, you know how light and rested you feel afterward. The massages done in reflexology are similar. A good foot massage is the secret to rejuvenating your physical and mental state.
There are several benefits of having a reflexology foot massage. Some of these include:
· A good foot massage removes the tension from your body by relieving stress from the muscles, and relaxing your mind.
· It improves health by eliminating stress from the solar plexus, which tends to store stress that may trigger different disorders in our body.
· A good foot massage also increases your immunity because it removes harmful free radicals, which weaken your organs and affect bodily functions.
· It helps reduce pain effectively and naturally without medicine, which might have side effects. It also helps to reduce chronic pain.
· A regular foot massage may help those with high-blood-pressure.
If you are wary of finding a reflexologist, you may want to try foot massagers. They are an effective and easily available solution you can purchase from the market. You can buy a foot massager that suits your budget and use it regularly, at your leisure, while sitting in the comfort of your own home. Buying a foot massager may be all you need to get a professional quality massage done while you watch your favorite program and feel the strains of daily life disappear.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.