Do you sit behind a desk all day and struggle to find the time to work out? Many find this to be a problem and thankfully there is now a solution. You can get in a workout while sitting right at your desk. Although this workout won't lead to you running a marathon in six months, you will get the benefits of moving around. Even sixty seconds of activity can get you moving again although a ten minute workout benefits you more. Either way, the key is getting your heart rate into the target zone.
A sixty second workout can improve the ability of your heat to move from resting to pumping very quickly. In addition to reducing your risk of heart disease, this also increases longevity. Here are a few to get you started:
- Do one minute of jumping jacks or run in place for sixty seconds. If you are really out of shape, lift one arm while moving the opposing foot out to one side and alternate sides. If running is too strenuous, march in place and get your knees up.
- Find an empty room and shadow box for sixty seconds or more. Walking briskly around an empty room is also productive.
- If you cannot get up from your desk for whatever reason, pump both arms up in the air and then quickly tap your feet on the floor. Do this in cycles of thirty seconds each for three to five minutes total.
If your job involves a great deal of phone work and you are worried about how these activities will affect your speaking voice, other exercises are available.
- While on the phone and sitting in a chair, lift one of your legs up and extend it straight out in front of you. Maintain this position for two seconds. Lower your feet almost to the floor and hold for five seconds. Return to the starting position and repeat with the other leg. Do this exercise fifteen times on each side.
- Stand and place your hands on the desk while using your speakerphone. Walk your feet back a few feet. Do a standard push up on the desk and repeat this exercise fifteen times also.
- Stand on one feet and try to kick your derriere with the other.
If others notice your activities and inquire about them, be truthful. Active employees are productive ones and others should take note of your increased energy. Your boss is sure to appreciate it!
© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.