Dry eyes, medically referred to as Keratoconjunctivitis Sicca, is an eye condition caused by decreased production of tears or increased tear film evaporation from the eyes. Although not completely curable, its symptoms such as burning, dryness, and scratchy sensations can be controlled with the help of a few herbal and natural remedies as part of dry eye treatment. The following list provides the top natural supplements for dry eye treatment:
1. Omega-3 fatty acids help in decreasing the inflammation in the meiobein as well as lacrimal glands of the eyes. They can be easily included in the diet through foods such as sardines, certain nuts, and salmon. Omega-3 fatty acids are also available in supplements like fish oil for dry eye syndrome treatment.
2. Flaxseed oil is a highly recommended supplement for the treatment for dry eyes. Flaxseed oil is rich in Omega 3 fatty acids and is very cost effective and useful. This should not be applied to the eyes directly but should be ingested orally. The flaxseed can be ground and swallowed with water or other liquids.
3. Vitamin A or beta-carotene deficiency causes dry eyes according to some sources. Therefore, including vitamin A in the diet is essential as it controls the differentiation and proliferation of corneal epithelial cells and conserves the conjunctival goblet cells. Food sources of vitamin A are sweet potatoes, carrots, yam, and different variety of fish.
4. Primrose Oil is a good source of essential fatty acids that help produce excess tear components in the eye, essential for the treatment of dry eyes.
5. Ionic Minerals are used for the treatment of dry eyes as they help re-hydrate the body and improve fluid in the eye.
6. Bioflavonoids promote the production of natural healing essentials in the body and may help in the treatment of dry eyes.
7. Chondroitin Sulfate and Glucosamine
supplements for the treatment of dry eyes are available as dietary supplements. They are also found in a variety of foods such as crab shells and animal cartilage. New Studies show that chondroitin sulfate is essential in the treatment for dry eyes and certain eye drops include this essential element as a core component
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.