Dry eyes syndrome is characterized by chronic lack of moisture and insufficient lubrication in the eye. If left untreated, it could lead to blindness. Thankfully, new drugs have been found to provide relief to patients suffering from dry eyes.
The top five drugs used for the treatment of dry eyes are listed below:
1. Cyclosporine is sold under the name Restasis in the United States and has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration. This dry eyes drug reduces the damage to the cornea and helps with the production of tears.
2. Antibiotic eye drops treat the oil glands at the periphery of the eye. The glands then secrete more oil into the tears. The antibiotics can be administered as eye drops, ointments, or orally in the form of pills.
3. Another highly effective drug for the treatment of dry eyes is Hydroxypropyl Cellulose or Lacriset, which may be used as an insert or attached to the lower eyelids. The insert secretes substances that help lubricate the eye and decrease corneal dryness.
4. Sodium Hyaluronate can also be administered as an eye drop and is available under the brand names Vismed and Aquify.
5. Oxyal is administered as an eye drop to reduce inflammation of the cornea.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.