Day to day stress can bring depression into your life as an unwanted guest. Your diet may not cure depression and anxiety, but may prevent the severity and frequency of spells of depression. The following are the best diet tips to help manage depression:
1.Eating three to four evenly spaced meals throughout the day prevents sudden rise or fall in blood sugar levels, which, in turn, may prevent symptoms of depression.
2. Along with other diets tips for depression, do not forget to add adequate amounts of water to your diet. Good hydration fights fatigue and combats stress.
3. A natural diet tip for depression is to include B vitamins in the diet, especially vitamin B12 found in fish, meat, poultry, eggs, and milk. Also include folic acid which is present in mushrooms, lentils, and legumes.
4. One of the must-follow diet tips for depression and anxiety is to opt for smart carbs like whole grains, fruits, legumes, and vegetables rather than refined sugars. Following this diet helps stabilize the mood by keeping blood glucose levels steady.
5. There is a relationship between obesity and depression. Maintaining a healthy weight is an important tip when fighting depression.
6. Any of these foods may also help combat depression:
- Natural proteins like beans, peas, low-fat cheese, fish, milk, soy products, and yogurt
- Selenium rich products like nuts (brazil nuts), seeds, sea food, lean meat, beans, and legumes
- Foods rich in antioxidants and vitamins E and
7. Avoid stimulants like alcohol, coffee, tea, and tobacco
8. Include plenty of vitamin D, which boosts your mood, by getting enough exposure to sunlight.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.