Contrary to popular belief, the goal of adopting healthy eating habits for families is not only to stay thin or follow strict dietary restrictions. Rather, families must aim to set good eating habits, achieve increased energy levels, and keep diseases at bay. Here are the ten best diet tips for families which are sure to help the entire family learn to eat healthily:
1. Plan the family meals well in advance. Stock the kitchen with quick and healthy meal options such as multi grain breads, wheat crackers, or oat bran bars.
2. Instead of focusing too much on calorie counting and portion control, think about making the meal as colorful, varied, and fresh as possible. Learn to create healthy and delicious recipes around the foods which are loved by the family.
3. A useful diet tip for the family is to introduce small changes gradually. It can be as simple as adding a salad bowl with every meal or going for fruits as snacks.
4. An easy diet tip for families is to switch from butter or cheese to olive oil. It is better for your heart and adds a unique taste to the meal.
5. The key to losing weight is moderation and not avoidance. A good weight loss diet tip for families is to eat everything in moderation, since our body needs a balance of all food groups. It becomes easier to stick to a diet and shun cravings, when there are no "off limit foods."
6. Don’t skip meals. Eating breakfast should be a must every morning to jumpstart your family’s metabolism.
7. Pay attention to the fluid intake of your family. Drinking water, fresh juices, or soups are better than indulging in carbonated drinks or coffee.
8. A very important diet tip for families is to have your meals together as a family, not in front of the TV or computer. Mealtimes are a good time to set good food habits, especially for children.
9 Go for whole grains such as wheat, millets, or brown rice over refined cereals like pasta, white breads, etc. Opt for fish and egg whites over red meat.
10 Finally, be active and encourage regular exercise. Go for dance and squash classes or swimming with the family. This will help the family to stay fit and have fun together.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.