Below are some tips for carnivores to help them maintain good health:
1. Carnivores should have adequate quantities of carbohydrates in their food. Proteins are low in calories and a high protein diet alone can leave you feeling weak.
2. High-protein diets form substances called ketones in the human body, which are released into the blood. This causes a process in the body called ketosis, which causes the appetite to diminish. So, before you start a fully carnivorous diet, it is recommended that you consult a nutritionist.
3. Protein should comprise 10 to 15 percent of a healthy diet. If you eat 1,500 calories per day, you should be eating about 56 grams of protein.
4. Because of its importance in muscle repair and growth, body builders are particularly interested in carnivorous diets. It should be kept in mind, however, that protein intake above 20 percent is not recommended even for weight lifters. Protein content higher than this will overwork the kidneys and won't result in greater muscle gain.
5. A carnivorous diet tends to encourage over-consumption of saturated fat and cholesterol, which in turn leads to increased risk of heart disease and some cancers.
6. Be aware that too much meat can lead to loss of calcium in bones, causing osteoporosis.
7. Preserved meats including ham, bacon, and salami should be avoided; they are very high in fats, salts, and nitrates, which are often held responsible for causing cancer.
8. A carnivorous diet plan can help you lose weight and gain muscle. It is important to get adequate amounts of fresh vegetables and fruits to reap the full benefits of a carnivorous diet plan.
9. If you are not consuming enough fuel in the form of carbohydrates and fat for the body to perform optimally, it will start consuming energy from protein. Taken to an extreme, a lack of carbohydrates and fat in the diet can lead to a condition known as kwashiorkor, which leads to loss of muscle mass, stunted growth, impaired immunity, and weakening of the circulatory and respiratory systems.
10. The phosphorus content present in meat is much more easily absorbed than that present in cereals and legumes.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.