Diabetes is a condition wherein the body cannot make insulin or use it properly, leading to high levels of sugar in the blood. Diet control and healthy eating helps keep blood sugar under control. A healthy diabetes diet to keep blood sugar in check can avert the complications of diabetes.
It is possible to lead a normal and healthy life by following certain prudent diabetes diet tips, in addition to exercise and prescribed medicines. Here are tips for a diabetes diet that will prove helpful in controlling blood sugar levels:
- Make wise food choices: The best tip for a diabetes diet focuses on choosing healthy food options instead of foods full of fats, carbohydrates, starch, sugar, and so on. For example, eat whole grain breads and cereals instead of refined flour.
- Limit sweets: Substituting sugary foods with other healthy alternatives such as fruit instead of ice-cream or pudding ranks second among our diabetes diet tips.
- Limit consumption of alcohol: Alcoholic drinks have no nutritional value, but contain a lot of calories.
- Eat less fat: Instead of butter or vegetable oils, use olive oil for cooking. Avoid fried foods; eat baked or grilled food instead.
- Eat plenty of whole grain foods, fruits, and vegetables: Include greater amount of fruits and vegetables in your diet, as these provide vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
- Eat often: Do not starve yourself or remain hungry, as this will encourage you to overeat when you do eat. This diet tip for diabetes will prevent hypoglycemia, the risky condition where sugar level in the blood falls below the normal range.
- Carefully control your intake of carbohydrates: Starches, fruits, and milk groups contain the highest amount of carbohydrates. Vegetables are low in carbohydrates.
- Eat a set amount of food: Do not overeat, nor starve yourself. Make use of measuring cups and spoons to ensure that your food servings are the right size.
- Stick to regular meal times: The best tip for a diabetes diet is to eat at regular intervals. Regular eating habits help your body regulate blood sugar levels.
- Avoid temptation: Keep your kitchen free of enticing food items.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.