Diabetes is a condition where the body cannot make insulin or use it properly, leading to high levels of sugar in the blood. Diet and healthy eating helps keep blood sugar under control. It is possible to lead a normal and healthy life by following certain diabetes diet tips, in addition to exercising and taking prescribed medicines. Here are the best tips for a diabetes diet that will helo control blood sugar levels:
- Make wise food choices: The best tips for a diabetes diet focus on choosing healthy food options instead of foods full of fat, carbohydrates, starch, sugar, and so on. For example, eat whole grain breads and cereals instead of refined flour.
- Limit sweets: Substitute sugary foods with healthy alternatives.
- Limit consumption of alcohol: Alcoholic drinks have no nutritional value but contain a lot of calories.
- Eat less fat: Instead of butter or vegetable oils, use olive oil for cooking. Avoid fried foods and eat baked or grilled food instead.
- Eat plenty of whole grain foods, fruits, and vegetables: Include greater amounts of fruits and vegetables in your diet, as these provide vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
- Eat often: Do not starve yourself or remain hungry, as this will encourage you to overeat when you do eat. This diet tip for diabetes will prevent hypoglycemia, the risky condition where sugar level in the blood falls below the normal range.
- Carefully control your intake of carbohydrates: Starches, fruits, and milk groups contain the highest amount of carbohydrates. Vegetables are low in carbohydrates.
- Eat a set amount of food: Do not overeat or starve yourself. Ensure that your food servings are the right size; make use of measuring cups and spoons to ensure this.
- Stick to regular meal times: The best tip for a diabetes diet is to eat at regular intervals. Regular eating habits help your body regulate blood sugar levels.
- Avoid temptation: Keep your kitchen free of enticing foods that are not recommended for a healthy diabetes diet. Do not stock up on unhealthy foods.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.