It may seem like celebrities have nothing to be sad about, but stars are just as likely to experience depression as the rest of us.
Depression, also called major depressive disorder or clinical depression, is not simply a state of mind. Depression is a medical illness that can dramatically affect a person’s physical and emotional condition. An individual suffering from depression may find it difficult to perform everyday tasks and to maintain relationships, even with family and close friends.
The causes of depression cannot be directly pinpointed, however some factors are believed to be involved in the onslaught of depression including:
· Biological Differences: The brains of people with depression physically look a little different from the brains of those without depression. What causes these differences in brain appearance is unknown.
· Neurotransmitters: A naturally occurring imbalance of these brain chemicals may trigger depression.
· Hormones: Imbalanced hormones in a person could play a role in triggering the disorder.
· Genetics: Depression is more common in people who have a blood relative who has suffered from the condition.
· Life Events: Stressful or traumatic events can lead to depression.
· Early Childhood Trauma: Permanent changes in the brain caused by traumatic childhood events can make a person more vulnerable to depression.
Symptoms of depression can range from mild to severe, and differ according to individual. Some symptoms include:
- Feelings of sadness
- Loss of interest or pleasure in normal activities
- Reduced sex drive
- Trouble sleeping or excessive sleeping
- Decreased or increased appetite
- Restlessness or inability to sit still
- Decreased concentration
- Fatigue and loss of energy
- Feelings of guilt or worthlessness
- Frequent thoughts of death, dying, or suicide
- Crying for no apparent reason
- Unexplained pain
Depression affects millions in the United States, and anyone can be a victim, even celebrities.
Celebrities who suffer, or have suffered, from depression include:
- Emma Thompson (actor)
- Margot Kidder (actor)
- George Michael (musician)
- Jim Carrey (actor)
- Winona Ryder (actor)
- Heath Ledger (actor)
- Hugh Laurie (actor)
- Rodney Dangerfield (actor, comedian)
- J.K. Rowling (author)
- Owen Wilson (actor)
- Brooke Shields (actress, model)
If you suspect that you or someone you know is suffering from depression, schedule an appointment with your healthcare provider immediately.
The symptoms of depression can be effectively treated with medication and some forms of therapy.
To read more about Depression, visit:
© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.