Depersonalization neurosis is common in people who have recently faced a life-threatening or severly stressful situation. This personality disorder is characterized by the feeling of being an outside observer in one’s own life. People who face sever social detachment as well as detachment from self, may be suffering from depersonalization derealization. Depersonalization derealization may lead to a number of problems like depression and anxiety, which can be treated with the help of several different medications. The top medications that treat depersonalization disorder are listed below:
- Fluoxetine, which comes in the brand names of Sarafem or Prozac, has led to incredible improvements in people suffering from this mental disorder. This medicine is a serotonin reuptake inhibitor and helps treat the depression arising from depersonalization disorder. In a study done recently, it was shown that treatment with Fluoxetine has caused reduction in anxiety and depression in several patients suffering from this mental disorder.
- Clomipramine is a tricyclic antidepressant, or TCA, which is helpful in the treatment of depersonalization disorder. According to clinical studies done on a number of subjects, this medication has resulted in noticeable improvement in patients suffering from associated depersonalization symptoms including depression and various obsessive disorders.
- Lamotrigine is an anticonvulsant that has also been quite successful in the treatment of this disorder. It can also be taken in combination with other SSRIs such as Fuoxetine to treat the patient. Usually used to treat epilepsy and bipolar disorder, it is known to be an effective mood stabilizer. This drug is one of the only two FDA-approved drugs for treating depersonalization disorder drugs. They work by stabilizing mood and depression resulting from depersonalization disorder.
- Naloxone, which is an antagonist, is a highly used drug for the treatment of depersonalization disorder. Usually used for the treatment of opiate overdose, this antagonist has been found to effectively reduce various depersonalization symptoms.
- Naltrexone: This is similar to Naloxone and is also an opioid receptor antagonist. Also known by its trade names, Vivitriol and Revia, it is even more effective in depersonalization disorder treatment than Naloxone.
Apart from depersonalization disorder medications, it is feasible to try various cognitive-behavioral therapies. For depersonalization disorder, psychotherapy may be a very potent disorder treatment in itself.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.