Breast cancer awareness has increased dramatically throughout recent years, and some of the most ardent supporters of the cause have been celebrities affected by this common form of cancer. As it is sometimes said, cancer is the great equalizer; average people and stars alike have fought for their lives against breast cancer.
The second most common type of cancer among American women, breast cancer most commonly begins in the breasts’ milk ducts but can originate in any breast cells.
Although the cause of the disease is unknown, most doctors attribute breast cancer to the growth of abnormal cells in response to a complex interaction between environmental factors and genetics.
If you experience any of the following symptoms, schedule an appointment with your healthcare provider:
• A breast lump or thickening in the breast that feels different from surrounding tissue
• Bloody discharge from the nipple
• Change in the size or shape of a breast
• Dimpling of the breast or any other changes in the skin over the breast
• A nipple that has become inverted
• Peeling, scaling, or flaking of the nipple or skin on the breast
• Redness or pitting of the breast’s skin that may resemble the skin of an orange
Catching breast cancer in its early stages is important. With proper treatment, the survival rate of women with beginning stages of breast cancer is very good. Regularly perform a self-administered breast exam to check for any of the symptoms listed above.
If you have breast cancer, know that there is support out there for you. A recent surge in breast cancer awareness has led to an increase in research funding, improved diagnoses, and better treatment of the disease.
Celebrities who have fought breast cancer include:
• Julia Child (chef)
• Sheryl Crow (musician)
• Elizabeth Edwards (writer, late wife of politician John Edwards)
• Shirley Temple Black (actress)
• Betty Ford (wife of former U.S. president Gerald Ford)
• Edie Falco (actress)
• Patti LaBelle (singer)
• Olivia Newton-John (actress, singer)
• Sandra Day O’Conner (first female member of the United States Supreme Court)
• Carly Simon (musician)
• Suzanne Somers (actress,author)
• Nancy Reagan (late wife of former U.S. president Ronald Reagan)
To read more about breast cancer, visit:
HPV Vaccine & Breast Cancer
Breast Cancer & Diet
Red Wine & Breast Cancer
Breast Cancer Medications
Diagnosing Breast Cancer
Soy & Breast Cancer
© 2015 Newsmax. All rights reserved.