Bipolar disorder causes mood changes, change in energy levels, and extreme difficulty carrying out daily activities. The symptoms include depression or manic behavior, extreme hopelessness, irritability, restlessness, inconsistent sleeping and eating habits, inconsistent response pattern, unrealistic beliefs, and impulsive behavior.
Although the condition has no cure, symptoms may be controlled with medication and psychotherapy. Many bipolar disorder treatment centers provide education, interpersonal and social rhythm therapy, family focused therapy, and cognitive behavioral therapy. Others provide electronvulsive therapy, sleep medication, and health supplements.
The top ten bipolar disorder treatment centers are:
1. The Mood Disorders Clinic, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston Maryland.
2. National Institutes of Mental Health, Bethesda, Maryland.
3. The Stanley Clinical Research Center, Cleveland, Ohio.
4. The Bipolar Disorder Research Program, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas.
5. The Stanley Foundation Bipolar Network, Bethesda, Maryland.
6. Hollywood Pavilion Treatment Center, Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
7. The Bipolar Disorders Clinic, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California.
8. The Stanley Center for the Innovative Treatment of Bipolar Disorders, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
9. Bridges to Recovery at Los Angeles, California.
10. The Austen Riggs Center, Stockbridge, Massachusetts.
Treatment centers for bipolar disorder do initial assessments of the patients that examine their mood swings, cognitive behavior, and skill deficits. The assessment also includes family assessment and the patient’s environmental assessment.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.