Bipolar disorder is often characterized by mood swings. Patients experience highs and lows in their mood. It responds to treatment with medication as well as psychotherapy. Several bipolar disorder drugs are available on the market including:
1. Lithium: Lithium is one of the most popular bipolar disorder drugs. This medication balances mood swings. Lithium is so effective that it is used for manic attacks as well as bipolar drug treatment. It takes lithium one to two weeks to reduce bipolar symptoms. Health professionals usually advise a continued lithium drug treatment to keep mood swings in check.
2. Quetiapine: It is one of the most effective bipolar disorder drugs, which helps treat schizophrenia and depressive episodes that are associated with bipolar disorder. Quetiapine helps treat cases of acute manic episodes.
3. Lamictal: This is another drug treatment for bipolar disorder, which helps stabilize moods and keeps severe episodes of mania and depression away. This bipolar drug treatment helps keep symptoms of bipolar disorder under control. More importantly, this kind of bipolar disorder drug treatment does not have too many side effects.
4. Risperdal: It is an FDA approved bipolar drug treatment, especially manic bipolar I disorder. It is an effective bipolar drug treatment therapy that acts as a mood stabilizer, much like lithium, and improves manic symptoms. It is available in both solid and liquid forms. It is always best to consult a health professional before taking this drug.
5. Topamax: Topamax or topiramate is an anticonvulsant. It is one of the best bipolar disorder drugs available on the market. It acts as a mood stabilizer for those afflicted with manic depression.
Other popular bipolar disorder drugs are Seroquel, Paxil, Zyprexa, Abilify, Depakote, and Geodon. However, no matter how effective a drug might be, the advice of an experienced health professional is a must. No bipolar disorder drug treatment should be started without a prescription from a health professional.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.