Anxiety is characterized by impatience, poor concentration, a feeling of helplessness, irritability, tension, and restlessness. If anxiety becomes frequent, it can be a catalyst for heart ailments. Some of the symptoms of anxiety inclulde chest tightness, indigestion, dry mouth, fatigue, sweating, and headache. Several natural supplements on the market are being studied for their potential to treat anxiety. The top 10 supplements for anxiety are:
1. Vitamin B. Many of the B vitamins including B6 (Pyridoxine), B1 (Thiamine), and B3 (Niacinamide) are excellent vitamin supplements for anxiety. Known for their positive effects on the nervous system, vitamin supplements for anxiety stabilize the body’s lactate levels, which are responsible for various anxiety attacks.
2. Vitamin C. Vitamin C plays a pivotal role in the proper functioning of brain chemistry and adrenal glands. Large doses of this vitamin supplement may produce a tranquilizing effect on the body.
3. Vitamin E. Vitamin E helps transport oxygen to the brain.
4. Trace minerals. An abundance of magnesium and calcium prevents nervous tension. Calcium happens to be a natural tranquilizer while magnesium provides relief of muscle spasms and nervousness. Zinc, on the other hand, is a diet supplement for anxiety that generally calms the nervous system. Potassium, much like vitamin C, is necessary for the proper functioning of adrenal glands while selenium is a powerful antioxidant that has proven to have anti-anxiety effects.
5. GABA. GABA is an amino acid that acts as one of the best supplements for anxiety. It is found in some fish like mackerel, GABA tea, nuts (especially almonds), other seafoods, bananas, and wheat bran.
6. Valerian. Extracted from the roots of the herb, valerian is an excellent diet supplement for anxiety because it increases the availability of GABA in the brain. Valerian also helps with insomnia and is known to have very few side effects.
7. Kava. Kava is a natural supplement for anxiety extracted from the herb Piper Methysticum. It has been used as a supplement for anxiety treatment after being approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA). However, kava may have adverse effects on the liver.
8. Passionflower or Passiflora incarnate is perhaps one of the oldest natural anxiety treatments and supplements, but it has mild adverse effects that include nausea, rapid heartbeat, and drowsiness.
9. Essential oils. Oils of rose, nerolis, sandalwood, ylang-ylang, bergamot, geranium, jasmine, and lavender help manage anxiety.
10. Green tea. L-theanine, an amino acid found in green tea, is among the best anti-anxiety supplements.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.