10 Best Romantic Getaways in California
Wednesday, 23 Feb 2011 02:57 PM
Located along the west coast of the country, California is blessed with vineyards, jagged mountain cliffs, stretchs of desert, and clear blue coastlines. California is popular as a romantic weekend getaways that offers wine tours, skiing, back country hiking, water sports, golf, and leisurely spa holidays.
Here are the top ten romantic weekend getaways in California:
- San Francisco: From the majestic Golden Gate Bridge to the famous Alcatraz prison, from the touristy Fisherman’s Wharf to buzzing Chinatown, there is a lot to see and do in San Francisco, which was voted a favorite city for the romantic traveler.
- Yosemite: For an intimate romantic getaway in California, head to Yosemite National Park. Naturalist John Muir said of the wilderness park, “This Park is a paradise that makes even the loss of Eden seem insignificant.”Yosemite offers cascading waterfalls, valleys, meadows, sequoia trees, and more.
- Napa and Sonoma Valley: These are California’s famous wine growing regions. For a memorable romantic getaway in California, try an elite vineyard and wine-tasting tour coupled with a homestay package and visits to Napa and Sonoma Valley’s premier wineries.
- Benton Hot Springs: For a taste of the wild, head eastward of the Sierras to the quaint Benton Hot Springs, famous for its au naturelle hot tubs and cozy B&B establishments. Many of the natural hot springs are now spas that offer mud baths, massages, and other rejuvenation therapies.
- Catalina Island: Reach this jewel of an island via a catamaran ride from Newport Beach. Exploring the golden sands of Catalina, or its cobblestone town of Avalon, eating fish and chips on the pier, or relishing gourmet cuisine in a fine dining restaurant, taking off for a spin in the waters, or just relaxing in its turn-of-the-century hotels promises a memorable romantic weekend getaway.
- Occidental: For a quick weekend getaway, drive down to the scenic Bohemian Highway to visit this charming township of Occidental. Prepared to be enraptured by towering redwoods, green pastures, and wild ravines. Occidental is preferred by artists, nature lovers, and soulful tourists.
- Valley of the Oaks: Situated between San Francisco and LA, a winding route will take you through hills and vineyards to reach the Valley of the Oaks (aptly named), that is still reminiscent of the Spanish-era ever since it was discovered by Spanish missionaries in the 18th century. History buffs must visit the late newspaper tycoon William Randolph Hearst's ranch house Hacienda.
- Julian: This former gold mining town in the back country of San Diego County is now famous as a mountain getaway. With its antique shops, B&B inns, and horse-drawn carriages, Julian has a distinct Victorian charm. Apple orchards abound and you will find in Julian some of the best homemade apple pies of California! It’s indeed a great weekend getaway.
- Tijuana: A famous border city, Tijuana is easily accessible from San Diego. Famous for its bullfights in the past, Tijuana now attracts tourist with its greyhound races, and atypical Mexican merchandise of leather goods, cigars, and souvenirs. The Tijuana Cultural Center chronicles the peninsula history from ancient cave paintings to modern times.
- Redondo Beach: Tourists are welcomed by a laidback beach community with its heritage bungalows, generations-old family businesses and discolored fishing boats. A popular romanticweekend getaway today, Redondo’s major tourist attraction is ocean surfing.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.
Located along the west coast of the country, California is blessed with vineyards, jagged mountain cliffs, stretchs of desert, and clear blue coastlines. California is popular as a romantic weekend getaways that offers wine tours, skiing, back country hiking, water sports,...
Wednesday, 23 Feb 2011 02:57 PM
PLEASE NOTE: All information presented on Newsmax.com is for informational purposes only. It is not specific medical advice for any individual. All answers to reader questions are provided for informational purposes only. All information presented on our websites should not be construed as medical consultation or instruction. You should take no action solely on the basis of this publication’s contents. Readers are advised to consult a health professional about any issue regarding their health and well-being. While the information found on our websites is believed to be sensible and accurate based on the author’s best judgment, readers who fail to seek counsel from appropriate health professionals assume risk of any potential ill effects. The opinions expressed in Newsmaxhealth.com and Newsmax.com do not necessarily reflect those of Newsmax Media. Please note that this advice is generic and not specific to any individual. You should consult with your doctor before undertaking any medical or nutritional course of action.