The American Pet Products Manufacturers Association (APPMA) 2009-2010 conducted a National Pet Owners Survey which revealed that there are approximately 77.5 million dogs owned in the U.S. On average, owners have two dogs. From the list of America's most popular breeds, we feature the five best dogs for Northerners. Pure breeds; dogs bred for particular physical and mental characteristics, are among the top favorites.
1. Labrador Retriever. Among the best dogs for Northerners, the most preferred is the Labrador Retriever. This people-oriented dog is classified as a sporting breed, but given its versatile nature is now famous as a companion and working dog. Labrador Retrievers are friendly, sturdy, active, and athletic. According to the American Kennel Club (AKC), it is the most popular breed of dog in the U.S.
2. American Pit Bull Terrier. The Yankee Terrier aka the American Pit Bull Terrier is a stocky, muscular, agile dog. Known for its loyal and affectionate nature, the American Pit Bull Terrier can be aggressive towards other dogs. However, when trained and socialized, the Pit Bull Terrier makes a great family dog. Being obedient and intelligent, they make great guard dogs. Their coat is thick and shiny and needs to be brushed regularly.
3. Golden Retriever. Another sporting breed and a favorite dog for Northerners is the Golden Retriever. These medium-sized muscular dogs have a great amount of stamina. They are descendants of Labrador Retrievers and Setters. Even-tempered, accommodating, and adaptable, Golden Retrievers learn rapidly and are eager to please. Their glossy coats are usually wavy and range from creams to golden-reds. Weekly bathing and brushing will keep a Golden Retriever's coat in great shape.
4. Beagle. One of the best dogs for Northerners is the hound variety. Beagles are joyful creatures and are very playful with their owners. They are curious and tend to follow scents. Most beagles come in white, black, and varying degrees of tan with different colored markings. Brushing a Beagle's coat once a week keeps it shiny and healthy.
5. Boxer. The square-framed, medium-sized Boxer breed is also popular with Northerners. Strong and muscled, boxers have a short sleek coat and a docked tail. Boxers are friendly with children and other pets but cautious with strangers which make them good guard dogs.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.