While it’s true that some people don’t like the prospect of getting older, advancing age can have its benefits. To help seniors live better on a fixed income, many retailers offer discounts on good and services. Here are some of the best deals for seniors.
1. Airfare – With an AARP card, members can save up to $400 on fares with British Airways, says The Penny Hoarder. Other popular airlines offer varying discounts too for those over the age of 65, so it’s worth asking when you book travel.
Tip: How to Comfortably Retire on $2,000
2. Airport parking – Park Ride Fly offers a 10 percent discount on airport parking when you flash your AARP card, says The Penny Hoarder.
3. Train travel – US News and World Report says that for passengers over the age of 62, Amtrak offers a 15 percent discount on most fares.
4. National parks – When you turn 62, buy an America the Beautiful senior pass for a mere $10 says US News and World Report. The pass is good for life and gets you into more than 2,000 national parks for free.
5. Prescription drugs – The AARP Prescription Drug Discount Card can help you save an average of 38 percent on prescription drugs at more than 64,000 participating pharmacies, says The Senior List. The Costco Member Prescription Program offers discounts of up to 40 percent for those who have no insurance coverage for drugs or whose plans don’t cover enough of the cost.
Alert: Heart Surgeon's Secret to Healthy Blood Pressure
6. Optical – The Penny Hoarder says that with your AARP card at Target Optical, you are eligible for significant discounts on eye exams, new glasses, and contact lenses.
7. Mobile phone services – According to the Penny Hoarder, T-Mobile offers a Lifeline Program which is a discounted plan for low-income seniors. Additionally, AT&T offers a 10 percent discount on services for members of AARP.
8. Restaurants – The Penny Hoarder and The Senior List describe discounts available at dozens of restaurant chains ranging from fast food to fine dining. The bottom line is that no matter where you’re dining, it’s worth asking if there is a discount.
9. Groceries – The Senior List says Albertson’s and Kroger have a 10 percent discount shopping day for seniors each month. Many other chains host senior savings days too, so ask your local store.
Exclusive: The Secret Water Cure for Arthritis Pain
© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.