Medical experts are forever trying to find new ways to fight anxiety. Changing one’s diet is a successful way of combating the condition. The diet of patients with anxiety disorders must be enriched with natural supplements to fight stress. A combination of foods is needed when choosing the diet that's right for you. Foods rich in amino acids are good especially those rich in tryptophan. So include chicken, cheese, eggs, and milk in your diet as they generate serotonin. Diets for combating depression and anxiety help improve mood swings by increasing serotonin levels.
Remember anxiety-specific diets do not provide a cure for symptoms. It may prevent severity and frequency of attacks.
1. Water is a good diet for anxiety as it improves mood and prevents fatigue.
2. Fluctuating blood sugar decreases serotonin levels, so diets for anxiety should keep sugar levels steady. Anxiety diets should include complex carbohydrates like whole wheat pasta, brown rice, and whole meal bread for slow and steady release of glucose.
3. Foods that increase serotonin should be added to a diet for anxiety. Bananas are excellent for generating serotonin.
4. Add vitamin D to your diet. The sun is the best source.
5. Your diet must be free from caffeine. Too much tea, coffee, and other fizzy drinks can cause nervousness.
6. Limit or cut out alcohol from your diet.
7. Oats, soy, peanuts, and sesame seeds are some other foods that are good for anxiety.
8. One can’t go wrong with kiwi fruits. Kiwi is rich in minerals like magnesium, manganese, and potassium which are needed to combat anxiety.
9. A diet rich in vitamin B complex helps combat anxiety. Vitamin B1 (thiamine) is found in beef, yeast, nuts, and orange should be a part of an anxiety diet. Vitamin B3 (niacin) is found in yeast, milk, eggs, and meat. Cereals, legumes, carrots, and spinach are rich in vitamin B6 (pyridoxine). Your diet must include plentiful animal products such as fish, meat, poultry, eggs, and milk.
10. An anxiety disorder diet should cut out fast, fatty, and fried foods. Walnut oil, oily fish like salmon, and fish oil supplements are good to include in your diet.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.