Anorexia nervosa is an eating disorder that stems from a combination of physical, mental, and emotional factors. Usually prevalent among young women and adolescents, anorexics exhibit behavior typical of a starvation victim. They are never happy while eating and tend to be mortally afraid of gaining weight. Treatment for anorexia nervosa begins by helping anorexics build a more positive self-image and develop healthy eating habits. Behavioral therapy and natural supplements can help treat anorexia nervosa.
Treatment for anorexia nervosa
The challenge in anorexia nervosa treatment lies in persuading anorexics to get treated, as they often don’t realize or are unwilling to admit that they need it. There are many natural supplements that help in anorexia treatment. The best ones are:
- Wheat grass and sea kelp: Research shows that the cause for loss of appetite may be attributed to an inherent zinc deficiency. Treatment of anorexia with supplements like wheat grass juice and kelp (sea weed) may help. These natural supplements also provide valuable minerals like iodine, iron, calcium, and selenium to the nutrient depleted body.
- Fish oil supplements: Eating fish two to three times a week and taking fish oil supplements daily arms the body with healthy omega 3 fatty acids. Omega 3 fatty acids are needed to reduce inflammation, build immunity, and fight depression (a common state of mind among anorexics).
- Ashwagandha: Natural supplements such as ashwagandha and milk thistle are useful as a supplemental treatment for anorexia nervosa. They raise energy levels, boost appetite, and reduce mood swings.
- Fenugreek: Fenugreek in any form including fresh, dried, or oil, helps improve digestion, and treats appetite loss.
- Shatavari: Shatavari works as a rejuvenating tonic for people with anorexia nervosa and helps induce positive feelings for emotionally unbalanced anorexics.
- Chamomile: Chamomile can be used in the form of a calming herbal tea. It relaxes nerves, induces sound sleep, and improves appetite.
- Probiotics: Increased intake of natural protein and probiotic supplements helps in the treatment of anorexia nervosa by increasing the concentration of intestinal flora and addressing nutritional deficiencies.
- Psychotherapy and acupressure: Psychotherapy and acupressure are forms of alternative medicine that may be used to reduce stress, and encourage a positive body image.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.