Models, actors, athletes, celebrities, etc are rail thin and their crazy fans, the majority being teenagers, develop the eating disorder called anorexia nervosa. An anorexia nervosa diet needs to be specially formulated for people suffering with this disorder. As all these patients have a problem psychology calls distorted body image (DBI), a diet used to help thin people look healthy cannot be used as a diet for anorexia nervosa.
Fear of being fat
Anorexics have a morbid fear of becoming fat and this contributes to their ongoing feeling and imagination of having a distorted image of their bodies. Some of them become reed thin and, even in the face of skeletal thinness, they continue to consider themselves fat because their bellies swell due to long-term malnourishment.
Potentially life threatening
Lack of a proper anorexia nervosa diet may lead to serious health issues. In some cases, the person may have a lot of psychological problems that need to be addressed before devising a suitable diet for anorexia nervosa. Severe cases of the disorder may even need hospitalization and forced feeding to prevent starvation, suicide, or any medical crisis.
Purpose of anorexia nervosa diet
When compared with artificial and processed supplements that are used to add body mass for weight gain, a natural diet for anorexia nervosa helps the patient reach a less critical weight quickly and easily. If the patient does not have to be rushed to emergency care, the shorter outpatient treatment can ensure that the patient does not face the risk of any immediate medical danger.
Overcoming the mental block
- A diet for anorexia nervosa is extremely important, especially for people being treated against their will. Most patients have the constant fear of weight gain even during the treatment process. This mental block may require a lot of time to overcome and for the recuperation process to start.
- A natural diet for anorexia nervosa helps a patient lessen their fears by promising them only good health and no unwanted weight gain.
- Though the process of getting back to a normal weight is quite a Herculean task, with a healthy diet for anorexia nervosa, the process becomes feasible and less daunting. Fortunately, stabilizing weight causes many associated symptoms of anorexia nervosa to abate as well.
- An anorexia nervosa diet aims to bring the patient’s body weight almost close to normal towards the end of treatment program.
- Anorexia nervosa diets are designed by general physicians, nutritionists, and doctors who purposely select foods that do not give patients a bloated look and feel.
- A healthy diet for anorexia nervosa should contain foods that are high in vitamins, minerals, proteins, and carbohydrates.
- The best diet for anorexia nervosa is a combination of highly nutrients fruits, vegetables, and natural supplements.
- They also contain a lot of water to address the problem of dehydration and insufficient fluids.
- Multivitamins and multi-mineral tablets may also be given as part of a healthy diet for anorexia nervosa. Zinc and Omega 3 fatty acids, along with nutrition counseling, usually help patients regain weight.
- A weight gain of between one to three pounds per week is considered optimal for an effective natural diet for anorexia nervosa
A combination of a healthy diet for anorexia nervosa and counseling will increase the chances of recovery. However, the important aspect of weight restoration needs to be a top treatment priority and goal for any anorexia nervosa diet.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.