Agoraphobia treatment is quite common and certain medicines ensure quick and effective recovery. The top drugs that work in the treatment of agoraphobia are listed below:
- Propranolol (Inderol): This is a beta blocker that helps control the physical symptoms of anxiety and panic attacks. This agoraphobia medicine helps in overcoming social phobia, although it might cause certain side effects such as headaches, diarrhea, and depression. Another beta blocker that is very helpful in the treatment of agoraphobia is Atenolol.
- Imipramine (Tofranil): This is a TCA or tricyclic antidepressant that can help treat various obsessive disorders as well as panic attacks. Other similar medication includes Desipramine, Amitriptyline, and Nortriptyline. These drugs ensure that the patient does not suffer from agoraphobia panic and depression.
- Valium: This is a benzodiazepine and is one of the most efficient and common modes of agoraphobia treatment. It is known to decrease the frequency of panic attacks by almost 70 percent. It also reduces other symptoms related to agoraphobia. Other benzodiazepene trade names include Xanax and Klonopin. These help in agoraphobia treatment as well as in the cure of other phobias.
- Phenelzine (Nardil): This is a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI). MAOIs are anti-depressant medicines that are highly effective in agoraphobia treatment. This particular MAOI is very useful in the treatment of depression, social phobia, and other agoraphobia symptoms. Other similar drugs include Tranylcypromine.
- Fluoxetine: Also known as Prozac, this agoraphobia medicine has been the top choice to treat depression since the late 1980s. This drug belongs to the family of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. It helps in the treatment of obsessive disorders as well as other anxiety disorders, including agoraphobia. However, this group of drugs is useful in the short-term, and prolonged usage for agoraphobia treatment is not advisable.
The above mentioned agoraphobia medication is available only by prescription and should be combined with psychotherapy to ensure effective results.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.