When sebum, an oil secretion from the skin, collects along with bacteria and dead cells in the hair follicle or open skin pore, it results in Acne. Effects of hormones on the pilosebaceous unit (that consists of the hair follicle and sebaceous gland) block the skin pore and allows follicular material to seep in through the skin.
Around 40 percent people face the problem of acne. The market is flooded with acne fighting creams and other products but few acne treatments work. Some of these include:
- ProActiv has a whole range of acne-fighting products such as face wash gel, lotion, toner, cleanser, and moisturizer. Prescription grade benzoyl peroxide is the active component of the product. ProActiv can be bought over the counter without a prescription.
- Accutane, a strong medication only available on prescription, is another acne treatment that works. It is recommended for people who suffer with severe forms of acne. Since this medication is consumed internally, side effects are not ruled out. Accutane side effects may include liver dysfunction and cracked lips.
- Retino-a, a prescription drug, is considered a popular acne treatment that works and reduces scars, marks, and even discoloration of the skin.
Herbal Acne Treatment
However, chemicals or medications are not the only way to cure acne. Tea Tree oil, olive oil, rosewood oil, clove oil, and lavender oil also help in treatment for mild acne. These are part of the herbal acne treatment. Herbal acne treatments also can include home remedies like applying orange peel or Aloe Vera gel on the face and affected areas.
One should try starting the acne treatment with herbal remedies and if these do not give results, a person can try ProActiv. In case the acne is severe and does not yield results to the over-the-counter medication, one can go for prescription drugs.
Dietary impact on acne treatment
A few foods can also cause allergies that might result in acne. Avoiding those foods can reduce the acne incidence.
A few over-the-counter and prescription drugs for treatment of moderate acne include
- Benzoyl Peroxide kills the bacteria and reduces inflammation
- Salicylic Acid that reduces blackheads and whiteheads
- Azelaic Acid does both – kill bacteria and reduce blackheads and whiteheads
Retinoids adapalene, tazarotene, and tretinoin can be used for severe acne.
Cystic Acne is characterized by deep infections and may cause pain and bleeding. A few causes of cystic acne are:
· Stress can produce androgens which, in turn, accelerate the production of oil in the skin
· Certain types of food can cause inflammation and lead to cystic acne
· Certain forms of exercise
· Refined sugar could lead to cysts that in turn may be cause trauma both emotional and physical
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.