Acne is the commonly used name for acne vulgaris, a skin disease found in different parts of the world. The intensity of this problem varies from mild to severe. Most commonly, acne is found to occur in adolescence.
The prime reason for acne is linked to the way hair follicles work with sebaceous glands, that secrete an oily matter called sebum onto the skin. The hair follicle lining starts shedding some cells which are then carried by the sebum to the skin surface.
This leads to the clogging of the hair follicle, causing the formation of a comedo or a plug. When the comedo is present below the skin surface, it is referred to as a closed comedo or a whitehead. When it is above the surface of the skin, it is called an open comedo or a blackhead. These blackheads and whiteheads are not dirt that can be washed away. The discoloration occurs due to the way in which light is absorbed by the skin cells within the opening.
There are two main types of acne:
Non-inflammatory acne :
The number of whiteheads and blackheads is much fewer here. This is a mild form of acne and no prescribed medication is needed to treat it.
This is a more severe form of the problem and requires treatment with prescribed medication to be treated.
The top five signs and symptoms of acne are:
1. The presence of inflamed whiteheads
2. Marked presence of red pimples and pustules
3. In the most severe form, this type of inflammatory acne causes disfiguring cysts and deep, pitting scars on the face, neck, back, chest, and groin. Prescribed medication and sometimes even surgery may be used to treat this kind of acne.
4. Irregular menstrual cycles, increased levels of androgens in blood, and excessive hair growth on the face are all symptoms of hormonal acne. Some of the drugs that are commonly prescribed in this condition are low-dose corticosteroids along with the use of anti-androgen drugs.
5. Cystic acne is the harshest and most painful form of acne. The roots of the cystic acne penetrate deep within the skin layers. These cysts are formed when the skin pores get blocked by oil or sebum. These cysts lead to permanent scars and skin discoloration.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.