Washington DC is a historically famous place with several tourist attractions. Whether one is on a day trip to Washington DC or planning to go to Washington DC for family travel, this place has several must see attractions for tourists. Here are five of the greatest attractions in Washington DC:
- Lincoln Memorial: The Lincoln Memorial was built in 1922 to honor the 16th President of the United States of America, Abraham Lincoln. President Lincoln was the symbol of integrity and honesty. Located in the national mall, the memorial is one of the great attractions in Washington DC. Visit the memorial on a trip to Washington DC. The building, which houses a large sculpture of President Lincoln, has been designed to look like an ancient Greek temple. The exterior has 36 fluted Doric columns that represent the 36 States at the time of President Lincoln’s death. The interior of the memorial is divided into three chambers.
- Washington Monument: The Washington Monument is an obelisk structure built to commemorate the first U.S. President, George Washington. The monument, made of marble, sandstone, and granite, stands 555 feet and five inches tall. It is the world’s tallest obelisk. All four faces of the pyramid bear inscriptions. All of Washington DC can be seen from the observation level. The monument is an architectural marvel and is one of Washington DC’s top attractions. It is a must see during a trip to Washington DC.
- Jefferson Memorial: The Jefferson Memorial is a place for sightseeing during a family trip toWashington DC. This memorial is dedicated to the third U.S. President, Thomas Jefferson. It has circular marble steps and a portico, ionic order columns, and a shallow dome. The interior of the building has a bronze statue of President Jefferson, which was installed in 1947. The memorial, located in the west Potomac park on the Potomac river, is one of the greatest travel attractions in Washington DC.
- The National Air and Space Museum: This is one of the best Washington museums with the largest collection of aircraft and spacecraft in the world. Established in 1946, the museum on the National Mall, has the largest number of original and historic artifacts on display. Definitely worth a visit during a trip to Washington DC.
- The White House: The White house is the official residence and the principal office of the President of The United States of America. Designed by James Hoban, the White House was created by 1800. The White House complex consists of the Roosevelt room, east and west wings, executive residence, cabinet room, and the old executive office building. The building is six stories and one of the best attractions in Washington DC.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.