How does Vitamin E Deficiency arise?
Vitamin E deficiency mainly arises from fat malabsorption. It causes neurological problems due to poor nerve conduction. Low birth weight can also cause vitamin E deficiency.
Vitamin E Deficiency Symptoms in Infants
- Retrolental fibroplasia (an eye disease)
- Loss of weight and delayed growth
- Poor eating habits
- Developmental problems that include physical and mental problems
Vitamin E Deficiency Symptoms in Children
- Chronic liver disease, causing neurological deficits
- Gross lack of coordination of muscle movements with loss of deep tendon reflexes
- Truncal and limb ataxia
- Loss of vibration and position senses
- Paralysis of extra-ocular muscles responsible for eye movements
- Muscle weakness
- Ptosis (drooping upper eyelid)
- Dysarthria (motor speech disorder)
- Slow growth in children
Deficiency of Vitamin E Symptoms in Adults
- Mild anemia
- Nonspecific neurological deficits
- Disorders related to reproduction and infertility
- Fragile red blood cells
- Age spots
- Certain neurological damage
- Decrease in sex drive
- Muscle, liver, bone marrow and brain function abnormalities
General Signs of Deficiency of Vitamin E
- Gastrointestinal diseases
- Dry hair or loss of hair
- Muscular weakness
- Slow tissue healing
- Leg cramps
Other Signs of Deficiency of Vitamin E
Deficiency of vitamin E causes fragility of RBCs and degeneration of neurons. Other signs of deficiency of vitamin E include enlarged prostate, impotency, miscarriages, muscular wasting, and decreased circulation of blood.
How does Vitamin E Help?
Vitamin E helps in slowing the aging process of the body. It acts as a natural diuretic and helps maintain the skin. Vitamin E also helps prevent cancer, cardiovascular disease, cataracts, and reduces scarring from wounds.
How to Prevent Vitamin E Deficiency?
Deficiency of vitamin E can be prevented by eating a diet rich in vitamin E. Food supplements of vitamin E are nuts, seeds, egg yolks, whole grains, and green leafy vegetables. Peanuts, soybean, corn oil, and sunflower seeds also contain vitamin E. Wheat germ oil is an important source of vitamin E. Identification and management of the underlying conditions is very important in the treatment of vitamin E deficiency
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.