Social Phobia or Social Anxiety Disorder is an intense fear of public places such as shopping malls, classrooms, and railway stations. People suffering from social phobia often go to great lengths to avoid such situations. They feel that they are being watched and evaluated constantly. This feeling results in severe anxiety, embarrassment, and fear - the only solution being treatment.
There are several drugs available for the treatment of social phobia. For people who suffer from depression and social phobia, a combination of psychotherapy and medication is generally used as a mode of treatment. The top drugs that work for social phobia are listed below.
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors or SSRIs are a good option for social phobia treatment. They are generally the first choice because they have very few side effects. Paxil®, which is an SSRI, is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA); its generic name is paroxetine or seroxat. Compared to older drugs for social phobia, this class of SSRIs involves minimum risk. It is also very useful in preventing depression and other related anxiety disorders.
- Mirtazapine is a drug that belongs to the class of tricyclic antidepressants or TCAs, which have been proven to be some of the most efficient drugs for social phobia treatment. This drug acts quickly and doesn't cary many side effects which makes it another preferred option for the treatment of social phobia.
- Milnacipran is sold under the trade names Ixel®, Dalcipran®, and Toledomin®. It belongs to a new class of drugs called serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors or SNRIs, and it effectively treats social phobia.
- Beta blockers such as Propranolol, which is available on the market as Inderal®, are also used to treat social phobia. Beta blockers are generally used to treat high blood pressure and other related stressful symptoms associated with social anxiety. Also known as beta-adrenergic blockers or beta-adrenergic antagonists, beta blockers are very useful in preventing irregular heartbeat and heart attack.
- Benzodiazepenes like Clonazepam® and Alprazolam® are often used as alternatives to SSRIs and SNRIs; they only provide short-term relief from severe anxiety. Although a good treatment option, long-term use of this drug class is not advisable because it’s likely to increase drug dependency and recreational abuse.
Social phobia is a common problem that can be dealt with using the above mentioned drugs. Social phobia treatment can lead to healthier and happier lifestyles for the person in question and those around them. Therefore, if you know of someone suffering from the problem, it may be best to seek medical attention for them.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.