It is a myth that you need less sleep as you age. What is true, however, is that you need to spend more amount of time in bed to get the same amount of sleep you did in youth. With a little time and effort, this condition can be quite easily overcome. Here are the five best sleeping tips that can help those over 50:
- Timing – Sticking to a regular bed time is important for the body’s circadian rhythm to work efficiently. A short nap in the early afternoon will do no harm. In fact, it just might help you sleep better at night.
- Diet – A light dinner helps you sleep better. And if you can have it early it will reduce the risk of untimely wakefulness. It is common knowledge that tea or coffee should be avoided after 7 in the evening. Alcohol and nicotine are also enemies of good sleep. Limiting liquid intake later in the evening will also help. Popping sleeping tablets can also interfere with healthy sleeping habits.
- Activity – Maintaining healthy activity during the day helps the body sleep better during the night. However, some activities like watching TV or surfing the Internet before going to sleep inhibits a good sleep. Exposure to bright sunlight helps increase the level of melatonin which regulates the sleep-wake cycles. Developing a ritual, like taking a warm bath before sleeping, can also herald a good sleep.
- Exercise – Exercising early in the day helps the body wind down better at night. Simple exercises like a long walk, gardening, yoga, slow cycling, swimming, and golfing are easy ways to keep the body healthy and get you tired enough to fall asleep at night.
- Stress-busters – Stress in any form can be battled with simple techniques like writing in a diary, detailing all the work for the next day, listening to slow music, using white noise machines, reading a book, getting a massage, and so on.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.