Sleeping Over 50
Tuesday, 15 Feb 2011 09:52 AM
It is a myth that you need less sleep as you age. What is true, however, is that you need to spend more amount of time in bed to get the same amount of sleep you did in youth. With a little time and effort, this condition can be quite easily overcome. Here are the five best sleeping tips that can help those over 50:
- Timing – Sticking to a regular bed time is important for the body’s circadian rhythm to work efficiently. A short nap in the early afternoon will do no harm. In fact, it just might help you sleep better at night.
- Diet – A light dinner helps you sleep better. And if you can have it early it will reduce the risk of untimely wakefulness. It is common knowledge that tea or coffee should be avoided after 7 in the evening. Alcohol and nicotine are also enemies of good sleep. Limiting liquid intake later in the evening will also help. Popping sleeping tablets can also interfere with healthy sleeping habits.
- Activity – Maintaining healthy activity during the day helps the body sleep better during the night. However, some activities like watching TV or surfing the Internet before going to sleep inhibits a good sleep. Exposure to bright sunlight helps increase the level of melatonin which regulates the sleep-wake cycles. Developing a ritual, like taking a warm bath before sleeping, can also herald a good sleep.
- Exercise – Exercising early in the day helps the body wind down better at night. Simple exercises like a long walk, gardening, yoga, slow cycling, swimming, and golfing are easy ways to keep the body healthy and get you tired enough to fall asleep at night.
- Stress-busters – Stress in any form can be battled with simple techniques like writing in a diary, detailing all the work for the next day, listening to slow music, using white noise machines, reading a book, getting a massage, and so on.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.
It is a myth that you need less sleep as you age. What is true, however, is that you need to spend more amount of time in bed to get the same amount of sleep you did in youth. With a little time and effort, this condition can be quite easily overcome. Here are the five best...
PLEASE NOTE: All information presented on Newsmax.com is for informational purposes only. It is not specific medical advice for any individual. All answers to reader questions are provided for informational purposes only. All information presented on our websites should not be construed as medical consultation or instruction. You should take no action solely on the basis of this publication’s contents. Readers are advised to consult a health professional about any issue regarding their health and well-being. While the information found on our websites is believed to be sensible and accurate based on the author’s best judgment, readers who fail to seek counsel from appropriate health professionals assume risk of any potential ill effects. The opinions expressed in Newsmaxhealth.com and Newsmax.com do not necessarily reflect those of Newsmax Media. Please note that this advice is generic and not specific to any individual. You should consult with your doctor before undertaking any medical or nutritional course of action.