Ancient cobble stone boulevards lined with stately silver oak trees covered regally by Spanish moss. . . a chance to physically experience “Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil” and a chance to learn about civil war history – sounds exciting! Well, these are all things you can experience during a visit to Savannah, Georgia. Savannah is one of the oldest cities in Georgia and has been called the haunted city because of its appearance in various folklore and fables. The aura of mystery, which wraps up this town, along with various other attractions, plus the warm hospitality extended by the locals to tourists has made Savannah one of the hottest travel destinations in the U.S. Savannah is visited by more than seven million visitors annually!
If you are looking for things to do in Savannah, there are plenty of activities to choose from. From diverse tours to countless attractions, visitors to this quaint old town will never have a dull moment during their trip to Savannah. Eager to visit Savannah and want to get more information about the best tours, interesting attractions, and things to do? Consider these five great attractions in Savannah:
- Bonaventure Cemetery - This Savannah attraction became popular after it was mentioned in the famous book “Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.” Built in the 18th century and initially used as a burial ground for the rich and famous of Savannah society, as can be seen by the elaborate works of art and life-size statues near the tombstones, this Savannah attraction is worth a visit. During your Bonaventure Cemetery tour, you can see the graves of famous songwriter Johnny Mercer and poet Conrad Aiken.
- Tybee Island - A visit to Tybee Island should be included on your list of things to do in Savannah, especially if you are visiting during the summer. Fishing, sunbathing, and a visit to Fort Pulaski museum are some of the interesting things you can do when you visit these Savannah attractions that played a strategic role during both the Revolutionary and Civil War in America.
- Savannah Tours- Visitors to Savannah, Georgia have numerous tours to select from including the 90-minute “Historic Overview Savannah Tour” that takes visitors to various important places in this historic town. For foodies, there is the “Paula Deen Savannah Tour” that will take them to all the places showcased by the cookery show host on the Food Network. If you have planned Savannah travel keeping in mind its haunted history, then “Ghost Walk Ghost Talk Savannah Tours” is your best bet.
- Telfair Art Museum- This Savannah attraction is a must visit for art lovers as they can view some of the best pieces of art from different time periods. The presence of the “Bird Girl” statue is another reason why people include this museum on their list of things to do in Savannah.
- Juliette Gordon Low’s Home- Wrap up your time in Savannah by paying a visit to the home of Juliette Gordon, the founder of the girl scouts, who was born in Savannah GA in 1861. Even if you are not a girl scout, you can certainly gain some inspiration by visiting this lovely Georgian home located in Savannah.
You can also enjoy southern hospitality and take a history lesson during your travels to Savannah.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.