Polycystic ovarian syndrome treatments have several side effects. The main problems faced by women who undergo the treatments are infertility, weight gain, and diabetes. Traditional treatments can be complimented by natural supplements to avoid side effects. Herbal treatments to treat polycystic ovaries have been in practice for years. They include:
1. Chaste berry (Vitex Angus Cestus) improves fertility by establishing a balance between various sex hormones.
2. Buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculatum) contains D-chiro-inositol which shows promising results for treating polycystic ovaries.
3. Saw Palmetto (which may cure hirsutism, acne, and reduce testosterone levels) is also helpful in the treatment of polycystic ovaries.
4. Dong Quai (Angelica sinensis/female Ginseng) is used for menstrual irregularities and can be good for polycystic ovaries. It contains phytoestrogens and has been used in traditional Chinese formulas for menopausal symptoms.
5. Omega-3 fatty acids and other fish oils are finding repute as supplements for the treatment of polycystic ovaries.
6. Biotin, reported to decrease insulin resistance and improve glucose tolerance, may be used as a natural supplement in the treatment for polycystic ovarian syndrome.
It is worth noting that all herbs for polycystic ovarian syndrome treatments should be stopped immediately after conception and can be resumed after childbirth. A healthy diet containing phytoestrogens like alfalfa, lentils, chickpeas, and linseeds should be taken along with other medications.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.