One of the best things about being a North Carolina resident, apart from all the other benefits, is the number of North Carolina scholarships and financial aid that is available to help students pay their way through college. Many state and private organizations offer scholarships for North Carolina residents who wish to continue their higher post-secondary education in the state. University scholarships are designed for students who are intellectuallty gifted, but have no financial backing to attend college or any other post-secondary vocational institution.
Here is a list of the five best scholarships for North Carolina residents:
1. Board of Governor’s Medical Scholarship Program: This is a college scholarship for North Carolina residents. It is a renewable award for students who are accepted in one of the four medical colleges in North Carolina. A prerequisite for this college scholarship for North Carolina residents is that the students need to be nominated by the medical school for the award. The North Carolina scholarship awards a minimum amount of $5,000 to 20 top students who have been nominated.
2. Governor James G. Martin College Scholarships: This university scholarship in North Carolina is awarded to high school seniors who have a strong academic background and a minimum of a 3.5 GPA. This college scholarship for North Carolina residents is renewable for up to five years and is based on leadership, community service, and academic merit. The student must also attend a four-year course in a participating institution. The North Carolina scholarship awards $1,000 to 25 students who display high academic performance.
3. North Carolina CPA Foundation Scholarship: The North Carolina CPA foundation scholarship for North Carolina residents awards a maximum of $5,000 annually to aspiring accountants who would like to continue their studies in North Carolina and are sophomores in the college. The application considers only those students who have completed at least one college level course in accounting and have already enrolled in a college in North Carolina. The students must also display excellent academic record with a minimum GPA of 3.0.
4. The Jagannathan Scholarships: The Jagannathan University scholarships is awarded to residents of North Carolina, who are graduating high school seniors and plan to enroll in a higher post-secondary institution in the University of North Carolina. The award is granted to those North Carolina residents who have maintained a consistently good GPA and require financial aid. The students may be nominated by their high schools to receive this award.
5. North Carolina Community College Grant Program: This scholarship for North Carolina residents is awarded annually to students studying part-time or full-time in a North Carolina community college. The award is usually granted to students who are in a college transferable curriculum study program. Those participating in GED, ABE, or high school diploma and women in nontraditional curriculum are also eligible for the grant. The award is also offered to residents of North Carolina seeking new job skills. The award offers a minimum of $683 annually to residents who fit the criteria.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.