Multiple sclerosis is a disease of the nervous system that affects the brain and spinal cord. It damages the myelin sheath of the nerve cells and this, in turn, blocks the messages between the brain and the body. The disease generally occurs between the age of 20 and 40.
The symptoms of multiple sclerosis are visual disturbances, muscle weakness, cognitive and memory problems. The patient also suffers from abnormal sensations like numbness and pricking.
The guidelines for the treatment of multiple sclerosis help physicians take appropriate clinical decisions. The clinical decisions are taken regarding the use of disease-modifying agents. The multiple sclerosis treatment guidelines are set to consider the clinical utility of disease-modifying agents and include anti-inflammatory, immune-modulatory and immunosuppressive treatments.
Natural treatment for multiple sclerosis aims at reducing inflammation and is based on the diet and lifestyle. The natural treatment for this disease requires consistency.
Supplements for multiple sclerosis are :
1. Vitamin E and other antioxidants like vitamin A, beta carotene and vitamin C. These supplements are strong nerve protectors. Vitamin D as a supplement for multiple sclerosis reduces relapses.
2. Manganese combined with vitamin B enhances nerve impulses and alleviates muscle weakness. Magnesium and calcium help sooth muscle spasms and can be used as a natural treatment for multiple sclerosis.
3. Cod-liver oil
4. Flaxseed and evening primrose oil
5. Borage oil and black currant oil
6. Amino acids also help treat the disease. They are either injected or taken as tablets.
7. Omega-3 combined with multivitamins and mineral supplements are recommended daily.
8. Curcumin, a compound in turmeric, and garlic are used as natural supplements for multiple sclerosis.
9. Herbal medicines (Bushen Gusui) and medical cannabis (marinol) are used to reduce pain.
10. A natural treatment of multiple sclerosis is the Swank diet.
Other natural treatments for multiple sclerosis include proteolytic enzyme supplementation and EAP supplementation therapy.
Bee venom or apitherapy is a widely used natural treatment for multiple sclerosis. It reduces the symptoms of fatigue, spasm and instability. Careful monitoring by a doctor is a must.
The therapeutic practice of tai chi and yoga mitigate fatigue. Exercise maintains flexibility and muscle control. Swimming, walking and bicycling are commonly advised to patients afflicted with multiple sclerosis.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.