Menopause occurs when the ovaries stop producing eggs, which literally means the end of fertility. Every woman will reach menopause during middle age, probably, around the mid-forties but this is not definitive.
There is a list of menopause symptoms that many women who have undergone this have reported. However, menopausal symptoms may vary from one woman to another. Here are the classic five symptoms of menopause:
1) Mood swings: One of the classic signs of menopause is mood swings. Many women undergo sudden mood swings as one of the initial menopause symptoms. Mood swings, according to experts, are caused due to hormonal imbalance. It is important to note that hormones are thrown off balance, causing chemical reactions in the body, which results in the mood swings, irritability, nervousness, anger, or in the worst case, depression.
2) Irregular menstrual cycle: A woman on the verge of reaching menopause, may notice irregular menstrual cycle. Though there are several reasons for the sudden change in the menstrual cycle, it is strongly recommended to confirm with a doctor whether it is one of the menopause symptoms or not.
3) Low or complete loss of sex drive: As mentioned earlier, hormones are thrown off balance, and due to this there may be loss of sex drive. A woman involved in an active sexual life may experience low or complete loss of sex drive suddenly.
4) Night Sweats and Insomnia: The National Sleep Foundation has said that 40 percent of women have trouble sleeping during menopause. One of the main reasons cited for insomnia is night sweats. Since the estrogen levels drop during the night, women experience night sweats which affect their sleep completely. One of the major problems associated with insomnia is drowsiness during the day time.
5) Weight gain: Weight gain that does not respond to any type of diet is one of the classic menopausal symptoms experienced by a majority of women. Weight gain is due to the slowing down of the metabolic activity and hormonal imbalance. Abdominal bloating is also another major symptom of menopause that women abhor.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.