Looking to earn a degree in mathematics from a prestigious college in the U.S., but worried about the expenses involved? Obtaining a degree in this specialized subject has become a bit easy, as regards the financial aspect, with various mathematics scholarships being offered to students.
There are some specific mathematics scholarships for women so that they do not have to give up on their dream of earning a degree in this subject. The undergraduate, graduate, and PhD mathematics scholarships offered are open to all and aim at making sure that the students have something to fall back on to help them with their academic studies.
Math and science scholarships are offered to students on all educational levels. While there are many mathematics scholarships for students, some are more sought-after ones and offer generous grants as compared to others. The mathematics scholarships for women and men are only awarded to the best and the deserving. It is important to earn very good grades in school and college.
We have collected information on various mathematics scholarships for students and zeroed in on the ‘5 best mathematics scholarships’ to make things easy for you.
1. Siemens Foundation Scholarships: These mathematics scholarships are offered by the Siemens Foundation to students who demonstrate excellence in the subject. The awards for the mathematics scholarships for women and men range from $1,000 to $100,000. Scholarship are awarded on the basis of successful completion of an intensive research project.
2. Intel Science Talent Search: The talent search mathematics scholarships are offered to high school students and the amount awarded ranges from $7,500 to $100,000. One of the generous mathematics scholarships for women and men, the Intel programs are open to foreign exchange students and home-schooled students as well.
3. Arthur Holly Compton Fellowship Program: Specifically for mathematics undergraduates enrolled at the Washington University in St. Louis, this is one of the most sought-after mathematics scholarships in the U.S. The program awards both full-time and half-time scholarships. Students who manage to qualify for a complete scholarship receive a stipend of $1,000 while at college.
4. Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship: Open only to students with a GPA of at least 3, this is one of best mathematics scholarships. The program is meant for junior and senior undergraduates studying mathematics. An award of $7,500 is granted to those applicants nominated by an appointed member of the faculty. This is a key eligibility criterion for the Goldwater mathematics scholarship for women and men.
5. Department of Homeland Security Math Scholarships: The Homeland Security mathematics scholarship programs are open to both undergraduate and graduate students studying for a degree in math. Students are awarded a scholarship of $9,000. During the mandatory 10-week summer internship program, the students are given an additional $5,000. Also, the recipients of the scholarship are required to fulfill a one-year paid service requirement. This involves working in an area related to homeland security research.
In addition to the “5 best mathematics scholarships” detailed above, there are various other mathematics scholarships offered to students at each study level. There are specific PhD mathematics scholarships as well as mathematics scholarships for women and men, especially for those who wish to pursue a career in teaching. One such scholarship is the Math for America Fellowships program.
In addition, there are math and science scholarships for students wishing to take up both the subjects. Such scholarships include the SMART or the Science, Mathematics and Research Transformation scholarship program for undergraduates.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.