Many of us don't get our eyes checked regularly. Think about it. If you can read and write properly without the need for glasses, you don’t really visit the ophthalmologist. But is that wise? Not necessarily. According to the American Optometric Association, adults over the age of 35 should get their eyes checked at least once every two years, while adults over the age of 61 should get an annual eye checkup done.
As we age, almost every part of our body starts to fail gradually. This includes our eyes, particularly the macular area (area of central vision) continue to age gradually. Having regular eye checkups can protect the eyes and delay eye problems. There are several serious conditions like macular area degeneration that show absolutely no signs and symptoms. However, these can be detected early with regular eye checkups. Watch out for dangerous signs like:
1. Flashes of lights that seem unrelated
2. Serious eye pain
3. Sudden dimming or brightening of vision
4. Redness and double vision
Here is a list of places you can go to get your eyes checked:
1. Ophthalmologists- Almost all ophthalmologists can check your vision and macular area and diagnose eye problems. It’s a good idea to find a qualified doctor in your area and schedule an appointment. Ensure that the doctor dilates your pupil and checks the inside of your eye completely. Other checks that will be done include a visual acuity test, a visual field test, slit lamp exam, tonometry, and color identification tests.
2. Online eye tests - There are thousands of sites that promise online eye tests. You will be offered a free download of an eye chart and specific information on how to read the chart. This process is, however, lacking because there isn't a trained person to check your eyes. These eye check-up tests also do not check the macular area of your eye.
3. Eyes checked at Walmart-
An ophthalmologist can be expensive. As a result, many people opt to go to Walmart, which offers discounted vision checkup coupons to customers. They sometimes charge about $70 per eye checkup. They also offer contact lenses, frames, and repairs. You can get your eyes checked at Walmart by a trained optometrists. Ensure that you also ask for a macular area check during your appointment.
Most eye diseases progress slowly. This means that an early eye check up can literally save you your vision!
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.