If you're trying duplicate some great Italian recipes, be sure to include these five delicious recipes on your menu.
- Garlic Broccoli Rabe - This delicious side dish goes great with any pasta or meat based dish. Take 1 bunch of broccoli rabe, cutting each stem into 2-3 bunches and boil in a large pot until broccoli is firm but tender and bright green, then drain in a colander. After drying out the pot, add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, 2 cloves of garlic thinly sliced, and 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes to the pan and heat for about 2 minutes, until the garlic is lightly golden. Add the broccoli and 1/2 teaspoon of Kosher salt and cook for 2 more minutes, tossing lightly.
- Parmesan vol-au-vents - This is an Hors d'œuvre that's sure to get the taste buds ready for the main dish. Here, you need 1 tablespoon of butter, 1 onion finely chopped, 1/2 tablespoon of freshly chopped garlic, 1 tablespoon of plain sifted flour 1 cup of milk, 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, and 12 whole vol au vents (light pastry shells). Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the onion and garlic. Cook until soft and then remove from the heat. Stir in the flour and slowly add milk. Then, cook over low heat, but do not boil. Stir until thickened then add Parmesan cheese. Allow to cool slightly then scoop into pastry shells and sprinkle with pepper. Bake in pre-heated oven at 350 for 15 minutes.
- Pork Shin Bone with Potatoes. Here's a main dish that will replace ham in your life, perhaps forever. The ingredients include 3 lb. pork loin, bone in, 1/2 c. chopped onion, 1/2 c. chopped celery, 2 tbsp. butter, and 2 tbsp. vinegar. Saute onion and celery in butter until both are soft. Then put meat on roasting rack in pan and baste with part of the sauce. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours or until pork is tender. Continue to baste the roast with the sauce while cooking. Then add roasted potatoes.
- Baked Pastas. Baked Ziti is a favorite in many families, so it's included here. You'll need 1 box Ziti or Rigatoni noodles, 1 Can of traditional sauce (or your own recipe for tomato sauce), 16 oz of ricotta cheese, 2 tbsp seasoned salt, 1 cup of Mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese to taste. Cook your pasta according to directions then put in 9" X 13" pan. Mix in the Ricotta cheese, seasoned salt, and Mozzarella cheese. Pour your sauce over the top. Bake in 350° oven for 45 minutes and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, before serving.
- Italian Rum Cake will become a favorite for Christmas and all family gatherings. Your ingredients include 2 packages of instant vanilla pudding and 2 packages of dark sweet chocolate pudding, 7 cups milk, 2 tsp rum extract, 1 pound of pound cake, and 8 oz of cool whip. Line the bottom of a 13x9x2 with half of the cake cut into slices. Make the vanilla pudding using 3 1/2 cups of the milk and 1 tsp of rum extract. Then, add another layer of cake and put the chocolate pudding on top of that, also making with rum and milk. Let the pudding set for five minutes before putting over the cake, then top with cool whip and let it set overnight in the refrigerator.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.