Hyperthyroidism, the overactive functioning of the thyroid gland, results in the overproduction of the thyroid hormones (thyroxine or triiodothyronine) and causes thyrotoxicosis, a clinical disease of increased thyroid hormone presence in the blood.
Symptoms include anxiety, intolerance to heat, muscle cramps, aches, fatigue, heart palpitations, and arrhythmia.
A natural treatment for hyperthyroidism may include a number of herbs and traditional therapies, some of which are mentioned below:
- Ginseng is one of the best treatments for hyperthyroidism. Siberian ginseng or Eleuthero is a natural supplement that helps maintain good health. It is beneficial for balancing adrenal problems as well as chronic stress.
- Bugleweed is another good natural treatment; it helps deal with heart palpitations and anxiety.
- Iodine is a highly essential nutrient in the treatment of hyperthyroidism. Daily dosage of vitamin D may also help promote the immune system and provide relief from a number of immune system related symptoms.
- A selenium deficiency may lead to hyperthyroidism. The main source of this essential element is Brazil nuts, which can help boost the body’s immunity.
- A number of deficiencies caused by hyperthyroidism may be naturally treated with magnesium in small doses, either in the form of pills or in foods such as raw seeds.
- A good quantity of omega-3 fatty acids may balance the endocrine system and the thyroid hormone level in the blood, leading to a reduction in thyrotoxicosis and related conditions.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.