Hepatitis B is a chronic illness caused by the virus of the same name. It attacks and infects the liver. Symptoms of Hepatitis B include poor health, jaundice, and loss of appetite. The symptoms of Hepatitis B last for a few weeks and have been known to gradually improve after that.
Over the past decade, a number of medical breakthroughs in the field of Hepatitis B treatment have been made. Some of these breakthroughs have been given below:
1. Interferon – Alfa is a recommended treatment for Hepatitis B. The IFN-A has anti-proliferative, anti-viral, and immuno-modulatory effects on the virus. This can be injected intramuscularly or subcutaneously in the patient in smaller doses three to four times a week for a period of over sixteen weeks. The virus gets converted from replicative to non-replicative in character in most of the patients, and helps in the treatment of Hepatitis B. Adverse effects of this treatment of Hepatitis B may include influenza, fatigue, anorexia, and weight loss.
2. Lamivudine is a nucleoside analogue that inhibits the enzyme used for HBV replications. The general dosage of this treatment for Hepatitis B is 100mg to 300 mg per day. It is known to have the optimum results in persons with a high ALT level in their body.
3. Adefovir Dipivoxil is yet another anti-viral drug that has been recently used in the treatment of Hepatitis B. It is administered orally. This new drug is efficacious against both HIV and HBV. Adefovir Dipivoxil is especially beneficial in the case of those patients suffering from Lamivudine resistance. The dosage should be 100 mg per day for at least 4 to 5 weeks.
4. Entecavir is a recently developed, highly effective drug against all the Lamivudine-resistant variants of the virus. It may be required to use it in higher dosages than other drugs.
5. Fialuridine is another nucleoside analogue which is phosphorylated by the viral enzymes. It arrests the proliferation of the Hepatitis B virus.
This is a very potent drug for the treatment of Hepatitis B.
6. Combination Therapy is a new medical breakthrough in the treatment of hepatitis B. It uses a combination of Lamivudine and Interferon-Alfa to produce optimum results.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.