Hepatitis B is an infectious illness of the liver caused by the Hepatitis B virus. More than 2 billion people have suffered from this disease, and it has caused epidemics in many parts of Asia and Africa. A number of Hepatitis B symptoms are easily recognizable and should be treated immediately. The top five symptoms of Hepatitis B are listed below:
- Chronic Fatigue is one of the first signs and symptoms of Hepatitis B. General tiredness and an inability to work are usually accompanied by physical and mental weakness. Fatigue may lead to lethargy in muscles and induce general weariness of the body with signs of decreased concentration.
- Loss of Appetite may be reversible and temporary, but it may adversely affect the patient being treated for Hepatitis B. Any signs of persistent loss of appetite should be treated by a health professional as early as possible.
- Nausea, when prolonged, may be highly debilitating, and can lead to psychological as well as physical weakness. The damaged liver caused by hepatitis B can easily cause this symptom and lead to a loss of energy.
- Jaundice is caused by high levels of bilirubin in the body and affects the color of the eye and the skin, rendering them a yellowish tinge. This is one of the predominant signs of the Hepatitis B virus and it can be easily noticed by the yellowish coloration of the skin.
- Cirrhosis, a symptom of chronic Hepatitis B, is characterized by the replacement of the liver tissue by regenerative nodules of scar tissue. This symptom of Hepatitis B may also be caused by alcoholism as well as other diseases.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.