Ginseng (Panax ginseng) is considered a panacea. Among the various species available, the Asian and American varieties are the most common. Ginsenocides are the active ingredients present in Ginseng. The health benefits offered by Ginseng have been famous since time immemorial — the Chinese have been using it as medicine for over 2,000 years.
One of the most evident health benefits of Chinese and Korean Ginseng is its adaptogenic effect. This means that it increases the resistance of the body towards stress and may improve the quality of life. Research is being done worldwide to develop greater insights about Ginseng's other health benefits.
The top five health benefits of Ginseng are:
1. It boosts the immune system and prevents various autoimmune disorders like psoriasis and rheumatoid arthritis. Studies have shown that taking Ginseng extract or powder may prevent cancer. Improvements in quality of life, body weight, and immune response are some of the other health benefits of Ginseng. Ginseng vitamins can be added to a diet for additional health benefits.
2. The benefits of Ginseng are also evident in those with type 2 diabetes. It reduces blood sugar to a safe level and prevents kidney damage in diabetics.
3. One of the most common health benefits of Ginseng is its cardio protective action. The health benefits of Ginseng include prevention of free radical damage, lowering Low Density lipoproteins (bad cholesterol), and lowering blood pressure (both systolic and diastolic) in individuals with hypertension. Several studies report that Ginseng in combination with various other herbs may reduce symptoms of coronary artery disease. It is the antioxidants present in Ginseng that are responsible for reducing the risk of heart disease.
4. The health benefits of Ginseng can be seen in cases of male infertility. Ginsing increases the number and movement of sperm. Ginseng may also treat erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. Improvement in general stamina and curing fatigue are other health benefits of Ginseng.
5. Evidence suggests that Ginseng is beneficial in the treatment of neurological conditions. It may improve thinking and learning abilities including Attention Deficit Hyperactivity disorder in children.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.