The World Health Organization (WHO) defines health as a state of physical, mental, and social well-being, instead of merely the absence of disease or infirmity. Harmony exists between a healthy mind and body, but problems arise when this equilibrium is disturbed. Thoughtlessness and inattention can lead to many unhealthy habits, including overeating. Just as good food habits maintain natural health, uncontrolled intake of calories causes obesity.
Obesity is becoming a global epidemic. The latest WHO statistics reveal that more than one billion adults are overweight globally. Evidence from WHO reveals a 3- to 4-fold rise in obesity among adults in North America, the U.K., and Eastern America. Mounting stress and easy availability of a huge variety of foods are the major culprits for people consuming extra calories.
Promoting a healthy life style is the key to solve this issue. There are various ways to prevent overeating, which can pose a serious threat to health. The following are tips to prevent overeating:
1. Health professionals advise that one should eat only when the stomach starts growling and stop eating when comfortable. You should never wait for the stomach to be full, as this may lead to bloating, making you uncomfortable. This is one of the best ways to avoid overeating.
2. Following good food habits such as meditating before meals, thoroughly concentrating on meals, and slowly chewing foods are essential for maintaining health. These methods all encourage weight loss.
3. You should avoid eating while driving, watching TV, or using the computer as these activities lead to increased intake of calories.
4. To avoid overeating, eat slowly. This ensures quick transmission of food satiety signals to the brain.
5. A good self-care tip according to health providers is that one should opt for natural health promoting foods. Fibrous foods such as fresh fruits and vegetables fill the stomach, have lower total calories, and encourage digestive health. These fiber-rich foods, being low in calories, prevent overeating and encourage healthy weight loss. Research shows that consuming protein-rich foods such as beans, soy products, eggs, chicken, and cheese provide early hunger satisfaction.
6. Various health professionals also recommend that you should drink a glass of water before or along with meals to avoid overeating.
7. If stress is the cause of your overeating, manage it by various stress-relieving activities like exercise, meditation, or doing something that you enjoy.
8. Ensure that you maintain a steady blood sugar level to prevent strong food cravings that may cause you to eat unhealthy foods.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.