People with Generalized Anxiety Disorder or GAD experience high levels of anxiety and excessive worry that interferes with the quality of their life. Generalized anxiety disorder patients tend to worry about the same things normal people do, except that they worry much more and are unable to deal with or solve their problems affectively.
Due to excess worry and anxiety, a GAD sufferer’s life becomes disrupted. It requires the use of drugs and medications to control the anxiety. Some of
the major drug treatment options used in the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder are SSRIs, pregablins, and benzodiazepines. SSRIs are general antidepressants that are used to block the re-absorption of the brain chemical serotonin. Pregablins are calcium channels that are used to decrease the release of several neurotransmitters. Other drugs may also include benzodiazepines that act as sedatives and are among the best generalized anxiety disorder drugs.
These are the top five drugs for GAD:
1. Fluoxetine is sold under the brand names Prozac® and Sarafem®. It is an antidepressant that falls into the class of SSRIs or Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors. These are used to decrease the reuptake of serotonin, as the name suggests. Fluoxetine is an FDA-approved medication
for the treatment of GAD and can also be used for treating severe depression.
2. Buspirone or Buspar is a drug that belongs to the azapirone and piperazine class of drugs and is used as an anaxiolytic in generalized anxiety disorder treatment. This drug was approved for the treatment of GAD by the FDA in 1986 and is now available as a generic medicine. Highly effective, this is one of the most commonly prescribed medications for generalized anxiety disorder.
3. Imipramine is sold under the brand names Antideprin®, Depsonil®, and Deprimin®. It is an antidepressant that is used in the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder. This is a tricyclic antidepressant, which belongs to the dibenzazepine group, and is used in the treatment of major depression.
4. Propranolol or Inderal is a nonselective beta-blocker that can be used in the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder as well as hypertension. This is available under the brand names Avlocardyl®, Inderal®, and Inderal LA®.
5. Pregabalin or Lyrica is another medication used to treat generalized anxiety disorder. It is a voltage-dependent calcium channel that is used to decrease the release of various neurotransmitters like noradrenaline and glutamate. This drug has a very quick and efficient response immediately after a week’s usage and is similar in effectiveness to drugs such as velafaxine and lorazapam.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.