A grave occasion such as a funeral warrants somber and formal attire. Funeral dresses should not be bold in style or bright in color. Dresses for a funeral need to cover the shoulders and be respectful in their length and fit. Short and tight dresses at a funeral communicate disregard for the occasion and the mourner’s feelings.
Black funeral dresses are commonly worn by mourners, but dark colors and whites in summers are also acceptable. Accessories, of course, should be minimal.
Here’s a list of the five best outfits for a funeral:
- Skirt suits, particularly in black, are a traditional funeral outfit. It is advisable to match this funeral dress with close-toed shoes. The skirt suit should be knee-length or longer.
- Pant suits or trouser suits are suitable funeral dress. Again, they should be worn in black or dark colors. Like skirt suits, trouser suits have also always been regarded as traditional funeral wear. However, the trousers can also be matched with a simple blouse and sweater. Prints are fine as long as they are muted.
- A skirt paired with a blouse or a sweater is also an acceptable funeral dress. The skirt should be knee-length or longer and in a single color, preferably black, or any other dark color. The blouse should be sleeved and not expose any cleavage.
- A simple black cocktail dress that does not show off shoulders is fine as a black dress for a funeral. It should not be short or stylish or attention-grabbing in any way. One can match a wide-brimmed hat with this outfit but make sure the hat is not flashy either.
- A mid-length sleeved dress can also be worn as a funeral dress. It can be worn in black or other dark colors. A scarf, shawl, or hat can be worn with a mid-length dress but care should be taken to not overdo the style.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.