The use of Facebook by older generations seems to be growing rapidly according to recent research from the Pew Research Center. According to provided demographics, over the last year, there has been a growth of 50 percent in the computer literate members in the age group 65 and above, and 88 percent growth in the age group 50 to 65 using social media.
Since its inception, Facebook has transformed into a social networking site with something to offer to different age groups. The simplest answer as to why older generations are using facebook would be because it is easy, fun, interactive, communicative, and social.
Other reasons why older generations are using Facebook include:
· Groups on facebook that are age or interest specific are catching the attention of older people.
· Facebook has become a networking resource that delivers quick and exceptional results. Its privacy controls are considered helpful to connect with people from social as well as professional circles.
· Numerous HR initiatives use Facebook to screen potential hires, making it a combined social as well as network tool.
· Facebook is an inexpensive way to find or stay connected with long-lost friends and scattered family members.
· Facebook for older people can keep them engaged and thus less likely to fall prey to despondency and depression.
· With an increasing number of presently aging people becoming technology- and net-savvy, Facebook features that initially hooked youngsters are now appealing to older people.
· Sharing and the need for communication becomes more vital with age. Facebook offers a platform for older people to share their thoughts, feelings, and experiences about their world, their home, children, and grand children with friends through videos and photographs.
· The ease of use offered by Facebook is another reason that it has been adopted by older generations. With Facebook, there is little need to remember names, email addresses, or telephone numbers. And it offers near real-time access to people at discrete locations around the world.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.