Social networking sites like Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, and Orkut have changed the face of Internet media and brought the world closer than ever before. Sites like Facebook, Myspace, and Orkut are a good way of keeping in touch with friends all over the world, and even tracking down long-lost friends.
It's no wonder that sites like Facebook and Myspace have millions of users worldwide that include celebrities from different fields, world leaders, and sports icons. Besides following your friend's latest updates on Twitter, you can keep track of what your idols from various walks of life are up to by being part of community groups dedicated to them.
Using social networking sites isn’t only about connecting with friends or joining community groups like fan clubs to declare your passion for a celebrity, a sports team, or a noble cause. LinkedIn is a business-oriented site for professionals all over the world to connect and make the most of available opportunities.
With a large number of users hooked on sites like Myspace, Facebook, and LinkedIn, the businesses world has seized the opportunity to tap these users. Understanding web trends using social networking sites can help business owners know what their users are looking for and cater to them accordingly.
Here’s a guide to help you get started on social networking sites:
1. You can choose a site that is best suited to your interests. It doesn’t hurt, however, having your profile on more than one site like Twitter and Orkut, or LinkedIn, if you have a specific objective in mind about building professional contacts.
2. When you create your profile on these sites, you start with a clean slate. You can make your page interesting by customizing it using specific colors and other design tools.
3. Once you have created a profile, you can go about building your own network of friends. You can look up your friends and family if they are on the site. There are options that allow you to search for your friends based on the college you went to or a former place of employment.
4. You can also choose to make new friends if you see that you have common interests like music or movies.
5. Explore what the networking site has to offer, from playlists of your favorite songs to music videos.
6. Don't give away too many secrets!
7. Business owners can use social media marketing applications to analyze web trends and attract customers with a better understanding of their tastes.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.