Do you find yourself spending a long time trying to figure out what Christmas gifts to get for your grandparents? Often you can find a lot of Christmas gift ideas for parents and friends, but it is generally difficult to come up with good ideas for grandparents. Grandfathers are special in their own way, and they deserve a special Christmas gift.
Your Christmas gift for your grandpa will be appreciated if it shows you spent time thinking of him and what he would like as a gift. Here are five new ideas to try as Christmas gifts for grandpa:
- If your grandfather is fond of tea or coffee: Give him a ceramic mug on which you have painted a picture that he likes. Add your name and a Christmas motif as a reminder of when he got it and from who. You can also get a nice photo, a collage of the latest pictures of his grandchildren, or of a piece of art that he admires printed on the mug. Put the mug in a gift basket and add jars of his favorite tea or coffee.
- If your grandfather is sensitive to cold temperatures: A Christmas gift that is handmade beats one that is bought from a store. Learn to knit or crochet a few months before Christmas and you will be able to give him a muffler, a stole, a throw, a cap, or a quilt. If he has specific joint pains, you could make gloves, knee covers, or socks. If he particularly likes a baseball or soccer team, you can make his gift in the team colors, rather than Christmas colors.
- If your grandfather has problems with his sight: As people age, they tend to find it difficult to read fine print. A Christmas gift for your grandpa could be large-print books of Sudoku or crossword puzzles. You could also get him audio books of his favorite authors. A large-button remote control also makes for a Christmas gift that he will use for a long time.
- If your grandfather loves telling you stories of “the good-old days:” Books and games are available especially for grandparents and grandchildren to work on together. As playing a game or reading a book involves spending a considerable amount of time together, your grandpa will definitely appreciate it.
- If your grandfather is a person who does not want a Christmas gift: Some grandparents do not want any more possessions, as they neither feel the need nor have the place to store anything more. For a grandfather who fits into this category, you can offer what a grandparent would cherish the most — your time with him. Make a coupon book for him that promises to do 50 different chores or services for him over a year’s time that he can redeem whenever he wants. (You may want to stipulate a few days notice.) Your coupons can mention specific services that you can do for him. For example, clean his car, mow his lawn, give his dog a bath or take it for a walk, accompany him to his medical checkups, read to him, play chess with him, take him on a picnic, take him for a ride, visit relatives with him, etc.
Christmas gifts for grandpa can be more fun than you think if you put some thought into them.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.