Most candidates applying to universities in the U.S. require some financial assistance to meet their expenses.
Scholarships for students in California are given based on various criteria like financial need, academic merit, community service, and other factors. Financial aid for California residents can be grouped into three categories: federal financial aid, California state financial aid, and scholarships. For candidates who have outstanding achievements in sports, a number of attractive scholarships are aslo available.
Five of the best scholarships available for California residents are as follows:
1. The Achievement Award Program: The achievement award is one of the scholarships available at the University of California and is provided to students with extreme financial need. This scholarship for California residents requires the applicants to show willingness to do community service by helping pre-collegiate students in college preparation programs. This scholarship is offered to students applying to U.C. Berkley for Fall admissions and is worth $5,700 per year.
2. The Tang Scholarship: This scholarship was established in the 2007 to provide financial assistance to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Asians and Pacific Islanders pursuing post-secondary education after proving their academic potential. The financial assistance provided is about $15,000 per year and is renewable for another three years.
3. California Scholarship Federation Seymour Award: This scholarship is offered to 50 finalists from over 1,000 CSF chapters, each of whom receive an award amount of $1,500 to $2,500 annually, up to a total of $88,000. The scholarship is a great option for California residents. The deadline for submitting applications for this scholarship is February 18.
4. Ruth G. White Scholarship: This scholarship award recognizes female residents of California who are willing to pursue medicine. The amount of the scholarship awarded varies annually.
5. Dorothy L. Weller P.E.O Scholarship: This is an important scholarship that is awarded to female California residents who are interested in pursuing a law degree and need financial assistance. This scholarship is worth nearly $5,000 annually.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.