Home insurance or home owner’s insurance is a type of property insurance. One's residence or home, including all its contents, is covered by home insurance. The cost (called the premium) that the insured (or the buyer of the insurance policy) pays for the homeowner’s insurance policy is determined by taking into account the replacement cost of the home along with all of the home's contents. A home insurance policy generally remains active over a specific time period. During this period, the insured has to pay premiums to the insurer every term.
Before buying homeowner’s insurance, you need to compare premiums and the risks covered by the insurance policy (coverage) across companies. In any city, the most inexpensive insurer may be cheaper than the most expensive insurer by up to a whopping 50% for the very same policy and for the very same coverage. Many consumers do not realize this. You might waste hundreds of dollars if you ignore this fact.
These days, it is important to find a home insurance company that offers superior customer service along with the most up-to-date online tools and resources.
Some other sources for homeowner’s insurance are:
1) Companies that sell only by phone or e-mail such as Amica in Providence R.I, specializing in better risks; Geico in Washington D.C, and AARP (which sells to members only). Anyone associated with the U.S. military can call USAA in San Antonio, Texas.
2) Companies that sell exclusively through their own agents or their own Web sites, like Allstate, State Farm, and Progressive.
3) Companies accessible through general Websites like Insure.com, InsWeb.com, esurance.com, and InsureOne.com.
4) Companies that sell through independent agents.
5) Companies that provide standardized home insurance forms.
Some companies like HomeInsurance.com have been helping homeowners find desired coverage at cheap rates. They collect quotes from top home insurance companies in the U.S including Hartford, Safeco, Foremost, Progressive, and ASI/ARK Royal and recommend the cheapest deal to you.
Home insurance in the United States may differ from that in other countries.
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.