You may want to give your baby boy a name that is unique because he represents something extraordinary in your life. On the other hand, you may want to opt for baby boy names that are popular. Here are five of the most popular baby names for boys:
- Jacob – Jacob is a name of Hebrew origin meaning “heel grabber” or supplanted, held by the heel. A cognate of James, “Jacob” in the Christian context, was the name of Isaac’s son. According to the Old Testament, Jacob’s parents were Isaac and Rebekah. He was the twin brother of Esau and father to twelve sons and a daughter. The twelve tribes of Israel are said to have originated from Jacob’s sons.
- Ethan – This is one of the most popular names for baby boys. The name “Ethan” is also Hebrew in origin, the original form being “Eythan.” According to the Hebrew Bible, it means strong and optimistic, solid and enduring, or permanent. It also means firm, impetuous, and long-lived. It is a very popular name in the U.S.
- Michael – When it comes to baby names and meanings, this one is unique. In Hebrew, the answer to the question “Who is like God?” was “Michael.” Michael was also one of the archangels of God, a heavenly host, the one closest to God. Michael had the responsibility of carrying out God’s orders and was the patron saint of soldiers.
- William – One of the most popular baby boy names, “William” is a name of German origin and means will, desire, and protection. It is also a form of “Wilhelm” and is often shortened to “Will” or “Bill.” William has been a popular name in English-speaking countries for decades. There have been several rulers by the name of William, including four British kings, several from the Netherlands, and two from Germany.
- Alexander – One of the more interesting baby names for boys, Alexander means defending men. It’s a name of Greek origin most famously associated with Alexander the Great, one of the most famous conquerors and war heroes. In the Biblical context, it is the name of the man who helped Jesus carry the cross on His journey to Cavalry. It is a popular name used in Dutch-, English-, German-, Hungarian-, and Slovak-speaking countries. The world has had eight Popes by this name!
© Newsmax. All rights reserved.